Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Self Portrait

When I first thought about doing the self portrait I thought I would incorporate skateboarding and snowboarding somehow.  Maybe slow motion shots of skateboarding and me dressed up in various ski and skate outfits posing with my boards.  I thought this would be a good representation of me but its really not.  Sure I love skateboarding and snowboarding and would love to become a snowboard bum but thats not who I am right now. 

Right now I am enjoying my time with friends and strangers as I try to make it through each week of school.  Sure I party and drink probably more than most of the UNCW campus but its not because I have to.  Most of my off time when I'm not working on films or in class is spent with friends as we try to amuse ourselves.  I wanted to really just get a portrait of the everyday life of me.  It really is a self portrait of one of my weekends.  The look i was going for had to do with the way that alcohol and drugs affect our own perception.  Everything looks all glamorous and sparkly while in reality it could look completely different. 

I decided to use the fish eye lens because it also lead to the feeling of drunkenness or altered perception.  Depending on close you are to an object with it, it can totally change the image of it.  Objects seem to move and morph as you move the camera similarly to how someone really drunk might see objects moving.  The constant in and out and spinning movements of the camera also were meant to get across the feeling of inebriation.   I would have liked to experiment with the fisheye lens a bit more but it was definitely a learning process as I was not able to see exactly what I was shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment